Have You Heard About Middle States
Self-Study forces us to figure out areas of improvement
Justifies the existence of the school
Provides a formal opportunity for all parties to have a say in the development of the school
What is Middle States?
❏ Self-Study forces us to figure out areas of improvement
❏ Justifies the existence of the school
❏ Provides a formal opportunity for all parties to have a say in the development of the school
● The U.S. Department of Education requires schools to be accredited through Middle States in order to be eligible for certain federal funds and to offer student visas.
● Middle States works cooperatively with the U.S. Department of Education and Foreign Ministries of Education to confirm a school’s curriculum and instruction are adequate to prepare students for post-secondary education in American colleges and universities.
● Some grants and scholarships are only available to graduates from Middle States accredited schools.
● All colleges and universities in the United States recognize Middle States accreditation.
● Middle States accreditation is one of the pre-requisites used by the College Board in determining a school’s eligibility to serve as a College Board test center and to offer Advanced Placement Courses
The Mission of Cardinal Hayes High School, a community based in Roman Catholic values, is to inspire diverse young men of the New York City metropolitan area to become lifelong learners and responsible citizens. We will accomplish this goal by encouraging students’ spiritual and intellectual growth through a rigorous college preparatory program of academics, extra-curricular activities, and personal discipline.
Action Plans AKA Our goals for the next seven years or so …
- Action Plan #1
By 2026, students at Cardinal Hayes High School will demonstrate improved academic proficiency, as demonstrated by specific percentage point increases in various Regents scores. (For example, Global - 21%)
How? Implementing Team Leaders, adopting pacing guides, increasing rigor of midterms, conducting annual curriculum reviews based on Regents scores
- Action Plan #2
By 2026, students at Cardinal Hayes High School will demonstrate improved citizenship, as demonstrated by a decrease in detentions (25%) and suspensions (11%).
How? Revamping Summer Success & creating personalized teams of Faculty/Staff/Parents to increase student sense of belonging
- Action Plan #3
By 2026, Cardinal Hayes High School will improve the professional capacity of its teachers, as demonstrated by increasing the number of inhouse professional development workshops, teachers with certifications in their subject areas and google certifications.
How? Increasing number of in-house PD activities
When: Monday, April 1 - Thursday, April 4, 2019
Who: Middle States Team (Teachers, Administrators etc. from other Middle States Schools)
What: Visiting classrooms, pulling teachers and students for meetings to ask about CHHS & the report
1. Teacher Meetings during and after the school day
2. Parent Meetings Wednesday April 3rd at 1:16PM in the Library
3. Classroom Observations will be random. Chairs will be placed inside classrooms.
4. Student Meetings Both selected and randomly selected students will meet the Visiting Team
- QuickInfo_Parents.pdf (1.19 MB)